Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A learning experience

The first night we had the eggs, we had a problem with the temperature. It had been running lower than anticipated, mainly because of our estimate (the wood was slightly larger than the egg) So I adjusted it ever so slightly. Here is an entry that I made the first night:

"I received the eggs yesterday afternoon and let them rest to room temp as instructed. I put them in the incubator at 8pm and continued to check them, slowly adjusting the temperature because it had been running low (around 85-90 degrees) I'm sure that this is due to the change of position of the thermometer in the incubator. It was at 99.5 degrees when I went to bed at 11pm. I woke up at 3:30am to check on them and found the tempurature to be between 102-105 degrees (I can't say exactly, as the thermometer that came with the unit isn't precisely detailed--only estimated by 10ths. I immediately opened the incubator for short periods of time until the temperature had reached 99.5 again, and decreased the temperature. I continued to monitor them every two hours and it has remained constant. However, I'm worried because I was reading about temperature changes this morning and ran accross this. On the University of Missouri extension page it reads: "Temperature too high. Younger embryos are especially susceptible to high temperatures because the upper lethal limit is very close to the optimum incubating temperature. Operating the incubator at 105 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes will seriously affect, if not kill, the embryos. High temperature will lead to nervous problems, heart and circulatory problems, and kidney problems and will cause the embryonic membranes to dry out too soon. Chicks that hatch may have clubbed, wiry down and an unsteady gait." (http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/poultry/g08353.htm)I'm just sick about the temperature increase! I don't know exactly how long it was increased or exactly what temperature it was or remained at while I slept.

I felt awful about this and don't know quite what to do...should I discontinue the hatch? Should I monitor them? I needed to pray about this.

I decided to continue the hatch, despite the rising temperature spike and continue to monitor them. If after 7 days, I saw nothing when we candled them, then I would start over.
Here is a summary of the developing embryo. Courtesy of the University of Missouri extension. You can visit their website at: http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/poultry/g08353.htm
Events in embryonic development of the chicken egg.
Before egg laying
FertilizationDivision and growth of living cells. Segregation of cells into groups of special function (tissues).
Between laying and incubation
No-growth stage of inactive embryonic life. (50,000 to 80,000 cells)
During incubation
Day 1
16 hours
First sign of resemblance to a chick embryo
18 hours
Appearance of alimentary tract
20 hours
Appearance of vertebral column
21 hours
Beginning of formation of nervous system
22 hours
Beginning of formation of head
24 hours
Beginning of formation of the eye
Day 2
25 hours
Beginning of formation of heart
35 hours
Beginning of formation of ear
42 hours
Heart begins to beat
Day 3
60 hours
Beginning of formation of nose
62 hours
Beginning of formation of legs
64 hours
Beginning of formation of wings
Day 4
Beginning of formation of tongue
Day 5
Beginning of formation of permanent organs and differentiation of sex; Aortic structure begins forming and thickening
Day 6
Beginning of formation of beak
Day 8
Beginning of formation of feathers
Day 10
Beginning of hardening of beak
Day 13
Appearance of scales and claws
Day 14
Embryo gets into position to break the shell
Day 16
Scales, claws, and beak become firm
Day 17
Beak turns toward air cell
Day 19
Yolk begins to enter body cavity
Day 20
Yolk sac completely drawn into body cavity.Embryo occupies practically all the space within the egg except the air cell
Day 21
Hatching of chick

No comments: